DO NOT USE THIS CORE YET !!!!!!
An 8088 compatible core currently in the works.
Work on this core originally started in June'2007 however no real progress was made until a couple of months ago. A core was needed to test drive IO devices. The original core was very simple and only remotely similar to an 8088; the core was adapted to be more 8088 compatible. There are several other excellent 8088 cores released on the internet, or in the works. BCXA6 is written in a "brute force" approach in order to try and keep it simple.
This core is currently untested and several instructions are known not to be working.BCXA6 - 8088 Similar
Features / Goals:
- executes all 8088 instructions - non cycle accurate
- non pipelined multi-state CISC
- 20 bit address bus
- 8 bit data bus (most operations are byte-at-a-time)
- approx 5000 LUTs, 2600 slices / 650 ff's 50+ MHz operation.
|The following short program has been run on the BCXA6 in a FPGA test system, showing that the processor resets and sequences through instructions. The WAI and JMP short instructions appear to be working. The other instructions haven't been verified yet, but at least they're fetching the correct number of bytes. A long way to go yet.|
WAI ; wait for the busy signal to become inactive
; reset point
- The bus has been converted to more closely match the 8088 bus
- several ALU instructions identified by visual inspection as probably not working